The Nelson-Lucking Post #47 was originally chartered in 1919. Initial organizational meetings were held in the Masonic Building on the northeast corner of Sibley and East Third Street. The first Legion club rooms were on the third floor of the old post office building. The current building was completed in 1956, with additions being built in 1964 and 1979. The existing building includes a large outdoor patio which was built in 2005 with a panoramic view of the Mississippi River.